Skip to main content

Worth the Edit: Sonic the Hedgehog


I didn't know what to expect from Sonic the Hedgehog. I played the video games when I was younger but never owned the main games when the Sega Genesis, my first console, was current. I think my grandmother didn't want to spend the money and went for cheaper titles such as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic Spinball. I always wanted to get Sonic the Hedgehog 3, though, even today, I don't own this game. I do have the great Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic CD. Moving into the 3D era of Sega Saturn and Dreamcast, I never had those consoles and never played any later Sonic games. I will play Sonic Mania sometime soon, as I do have that title.


When the film was announced, I was excited. Jim Carrey as Robotnik/Eggman was an unexpected choice that shined with brilliance in my mind. I thought Sonic could work pretty well given the high-speed, action, and color of the classic games. These all work as aspects of films too. Unfortunately, when the trailer came out, I was shocked. Why did Sonic look so... ragged? Why did he have human teeth, a grey spot on his chest instead of a tan one, and such small (for Sonic) eyes? I really couldn't believe the design; it just looked bad. Thankfully the design got fixed later.

Even with the announcement of the new design I wasn't particularly excited by the film. Sonic the Hedgehog looked to be all flash with little heart. Carrey still looked good, but the jokes didn't. The action didn't. The effects didn't. This movie looked to be from the Michael Bay/James Cameron schools of big effects, big budgets, and huge action. I didn't think I would see it.

Yesterday was my girlfriend's birthday. We were going to see a documentary about mushrooms, Fantastic Fungi, but the theater was sold out when we got there. We went back home, opened presents, and set a new course. She wanted to see Sonic the Hedgehog, and I thought that might be okay too. The reviews had been surprisingly decent, and it would be fun at least.


I was amazed at how good this movie was! Sonic the Hedgehog starts fast and keeps the pace throughout with only a slight lull in the middle. And amidst all of the action was a serious heart. I won't give away everything, but Sonic is an orphan who has been on hiding his whole life. The portrayal in the film deeply reflects his loneliness too. He's still goofy and wise-cracking, but this is a shell to cover his flaws. Kaiti and I just watched a great episode of Mister Roger's Neighborhood with this same message. Sonic is bold because he has nothing to lose. Jim Carrey's Robotnik, conversely, is an edgelord scientist, the trope of the arrogant, antisocial, "you have to have a high IQ to understand Rick and Morty" internet user. Robotnik is a special operative for the government, and he is on the hunt for the alien Sonic. Carrey does essentially a parody of his classic characters into something quite vicious while having a hint of black comedy about it. I felt like I could laugh at these situations if they were presented in a funny context, but they are not. This made him feel all the more villainous.


Sonic has help on his quest provided by James Marsden as Tom Wachowski and his wife Maddie (Tika Sumpter). Tom is much more prominent, this being somewhat of a road movie/buddy film, and shows Sonic what life is like on Earth. While a few of the jokes are kind of crass, I actually found their interactions to be genuine and funny. It felt like hanging out with friends. Sumpter plays more of the straight man to these goofballs, and she also does an excellent job at it. Her disbelief was very amusing. Supporting actors such as Frank C. Turner, Natasha Rothwell, Lee Majdoub, and Adam Pally help to carry quite a few scenes as well. The movie is well-cast with great performances all around.


I was impressed with Sonic the Hedgehog. I liked the message, the story, the slight low-brow elements to some of the comedy, and the political commentary. I liked it so much that I would see this movie again. If you like Sonic or a good action-comedy-fantasy film, I think you may very well enjoy Sonic the Hedgehog too. The movie is great for kids too of course, appealing both to kids from the 90s and kids today with scenes of baseball and pastimes that recall, thematically, that era, at least to me, while still firmly establishing itself in the present day of smartphones and the internet. The film even has some small references to chili dogs, classic Sonic music, and Mario for more informed fans from the past, and Sonic sounds just like I expect him to sound from the later games and the cartoons of the 1990s. My only real complaint about Sonic the Hedgehog is the awkward product placement for Olive Garden and Zillow, but these small annoyances do not spoil an excellent film.

Sonic the Hedgehog receives a Good.

Follow EfreetEater on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PlayStation Basement #67 - Poy Poy

This review was originally published on the  Console Purist  Facebook group on December 7th, 2019. Hello once again, and welcome back to the PlayStation Basement. PlayStation Basement is a weekly review of games for the original PlayStation that are somewhat obscure, unusual, or unknown. Games are rated Good, Bad, or Neutral to emphasis the review over just a number. Now, let’s go! The holidays are approaching for people all over the world, and Thanksgiving was last week in the United States. Have you visited your family, or have they visited you? Have you had friends over or gone to someone else’s house? This is the time of year for gatherings, and today’s game is the game for that. Poy Poy is a party/arena fighter released by Konami. The game came out in Japan and North America in 1997. In Japan it was known as Poitters’ Point . Europe saw Poy Poy in 1998. This title was developed by Konami subsidiary KCET who worked on many other games for the main company. Poy Poy

PlayStation Basement #9 - Countdown Vampires

This review was originally published on the  Console Purist  Facebook group on October 27th, 2018. It has been edited slightly for formatting. It’s Halloween next week, so I’m here in the PlayStation Basement with another horror game. Every Saturday I’m here to review strange and obscure games for the original PlayStation using a nine-point scale where 7-9 is Good, 6-4 is Neutral, and 3-1 is Bad. Let’s get to it. In the last two weeks, I reviewed Oh! Bakyuuun and Swagman , both horror-related games but not the much touted “survival-horror”. Personally, I think survival-horror is kind of a goofy name, as it’s more marketing than anything else. Once “Resident Evil” came out, these games certainly had a very specific style, but at heart, these are adventure games with action elements. Countdown Vampires  is no different. Developed by K2 and published by Bandai, Countdown Vampires  was released December 22nd, 1999 in Japan and August 21st, 2000 in the United States. This game t

PlayStation Basement #11 - Dragonseeds

This review was originally published on the  Console Purist  Facebook group on November 10th, 2018. It has been edited slightly for formatting. Hello and welcome back to the PlayStation Basement. I’m actually in another state right now at a tabletop RPG convention called Con on the Cob, but I’m still here to do the review like every other Saturday. PlayStation Basement is a series of reviews about strange and obscure games for the original PlayStation. As always, I’ll be using a nine-point scale where 7-9 is Good, 6-4 is Neutral, and 3-1 is Bad. Today, I’m continuing on the monster-raising trend started last week with Eternal Eyes  with this review of Dragonseeds . Dragonseeds  was developed and published by Jaleco in both the US and Japan in 1998. Despite what the title may sound like, this is a game about a city where dragons are created via cloning and gene splicing; these are not your standard, organic, fantasy dragons. The setting is somewhat futuristic and reminds me o