Skip to main content

Entering JoJo’s Weird World

As a kid, I always identified heavily with the word "weird". I was always told that I was a "weird" kid. I liked monsters, Halloween, odd toys like The Incredible Crash Dummies, and magicians. I read books about Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster, and aliens from the library. I liked learning and going to school. I cared about the environment and wanted to include others in events and games fairly and equally. These are all still true things about me.


Sometime in the year 2000, I first heard the name JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. "Bizarre" is of course often a synonym for "weird", and, even to a weird kid like me, this was such a weird name that I was intrigued. From what I remember, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was first introduced to me as a video game for PlayStation that my friend Augustin had rented. I heard all about the colorful designs of the manga-based fighting game. This was a story that had not yet been introduced to a major audience in North America. Of course, this wasn't unusual for that time, a time when anime was still getting a major foothold here in the wake of Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Pokémon after earlier attempts with Robotech and Speed Racer. There were people in the know, older teens who subscribed to magazines and went to conventions and maybe even talked on the early internet about Gunsmith Cats and Ninja Scroll, but I was just a kid. I was excited to learn more about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, imagining carnivals and harlequins in Todd McFarlane's style. It took around 15 years for me to get ahold of it.

I never actually got to play the game. I own it now, but I still have not played it. Back then, I just missed out of my friend's short rental time and never seeing the game at the store. Now it's because I didn't know enough of the story to feel comfortable playing the game. See, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is divided into eight parts (at least so far). Each part is basically a different story with a different main character, but for the first six parts (the last two take place in an alternate timeline), the characters are all related to each other, usually children or grandchildren of a previous character. They are all members of the Joestar family, descended from Jonathan Joestar from the first story.

Part 1, Phantom Blood, tells the story of two boys who grow as siblings, rivals, and, eventually, enemies. It is a Victorian horror tale of vampirism and supernatural martial arts with the shadow of Go Nagai's Devilman between the two fighters. The second part, Battle Tendency, continues the story through the first hero's grandson as he discovers the legacy of the vampirism and grows in his own martial arts skills through battles against ancient warriors and Nazis. Both feature graphic gore and references to musicians.

Neither of these first two story arcs are particularly long, though Phantom Blood is a more concise story and less grandiose than Battle Tendency. The second part, along with its influence of pulp horror comics, also takes on a more typical shonen fighting storyline, though the first part is not far off either. The best comparison might be the episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho before Yusuke enters the Dark Tournament or Dragon Ball Z before the heroes head to the planet Namek. There are still plotted fight scenes with elements of expository narration, but it's not the same kind of drawn-out stuff as Frieza and Goku's final battle in the Dragon Ball Z anime. Part 2 never gets to Super Saiyan stalemates either, but it definitely shows a power increase.

So far, I have only read these two parts. The game is based around the next part, Stardust Crusaders, and that part is longer than the first two combined. It also introduces something called Stands that I don't know much about. From what I understand, the Stands take over from the Hamon wave energy of the first two parts as the new style of magical martial arts. The series also gets aesthetically less and less similar to Fist of the North Star as it goes along, the big change apparently starting in the fourth part, Diamond Is Unbreakable. I'll get there as I keep going along, just like the Joestars themselves. I will always be a weird kid. How about you?

Follow EfreetEater on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PlayStation Basement #67 - Poy Poy

This review was originally published on the  Console Purist  Facebook group on December 7th, 2019. Hello once again, and welcome back to the PlayStation Basement. PlayStation Basement is a weekly review of games for the original PlayStation that are somewhat obscure, unusual, or unknown. Games are rated Good, Bad, or Neutral to emphasis the review over just a number. Now, let’s go! The holidays are approaching for people all over the world, and Thanksgiving was last week in the United States. Have you visited your family, or have they visited you? Have you had friends over or gone to someone else’s house? This is the time of year for gatherings, and today’s game is the game for that. Poy Poy is a party/arena fighter released by Konami. The game came out in Japan and North America in 1997. In Japan it was known as Poitters’ Point . Europe saw Poy Poy in 1998. This title was developed by Konami subsidiary KCET who worked on many other games for the main company. Poy Poy

PlayStation Basement #9 - Countdown Vampires

This review was originally published on the  Console Purist  Facebook group on October 27th, 2018. It has been edited slightly for formatting. It’s Halloween next week, so I’m here in the PlayStation Basement with another horror game. Every Saturday I’m here to review strange and obscure games for the original PlayStation using a nine-point scale where 7-9 is Good, 6-4 is Neutral, and 3-1 is Bad. Let’s get to it. In the last two weeks, I reviewed Oh! Bakyuuun and Swagman , both horror-related games but not the much touted “survival-horror”. Personally, I think survival-horror is kind of a goofy name, as it’s more marketing than anything else. Once “Resident Evil” came out, these games certainly had a very specific style, but at heart, these are adventure games with action elements. Countdown Vampires  is no different. Developed by K2 and published by Bandai, Countdown Vampires  was released December 22nd, 1999 in Japan and August 21st, 2000 in the United States. This game t

PlayStation Basement #11 - Dragonseeds

This review was originally published on the  Console Purist  Facebook group on November 10th, 2018. It has been edited slightly for formatting. Hello and welcome back to the PlayStation Basement. I’m actually in another state right now at a tabletop RPG convention called Con on the Cob, but I’m still here to do the review like every other Saturday. PlayStation Basement is a series of reviews about strange and obscure games for the original PlayStation. As always, I’ll be using a nine-point scale where 7-9 is Good, 6-4 is Neutral, and 3-1 is Bad. Today, I’m continuing on the monster-raising trend started last week with Eternal Eyes  with this review of Dragonseeds . Dragonseeds  was developed and published by Jaleco in both the US and Japan in 1998. Despite what the title may sound like, this is a game about a city where dragons are created via cloning and gene splicing; these are not your standard, organic, fantasy dragons. The setting is somewhat futuristic and reminds me o